IVF and normal pregnancy QS – Curious to learn what is the difference between IVF and normal pregnancy? This blog will enumerate the much-needed details for you.
In the 21st century, pregnancy complications and infertility have become as common as the common cold perhaps. As per reports from CDC, about 1 in 8 couples and 48.5 million couples all across the world struggle with infertility.
IVF has opened doors to conceiving a baby for millions of couples all across the world. It is 44 years since the first IVF-assisted baby stepped onto the earth. About 2.5 million cycles are performed annually all across the world and 2 to 2.5 lakh IVF cycles are performed in India annually.
But before we delve deeper into the matter of the difference between IVF and normal pregnancy, let us know what is the full form of IVF is. IVF stands for in vitro fertilization. It is part of assisted reproductive technologies (ART).
Those new to these terminologies might wonder how is an IVF birth different from a naturally conceived birth. Hence you can find the needed knowledge below.
Who can opt for IVF? IVF and normal pregnancy
IVF can usually help those couples conceive who have been diagnosed with the following:
- Poor egg quality
- Ovulation related problems
- Issues with the uterine or fallopian tubes
- Low sperm counts
- Antibodies destroy the sperm or eggs
- Sperm’s inability to survive in the cervical mucus
- Genetic diseases of either parent
- Unknown fertility causes
Five major stages of an IVF cycle?
The five important stages of an IVF cycle are explained below for you to better grasp what is the difference between IVF and normal pregnancy.
Stage 1: Injecting hormones
The first step involves giving hormonal injections to the woman trying to conceive a baby. This is done to stimulate healthy egg development in the woman. With the help of hormones, multiple eggs are produced during the ovulation period. A woman in general produces one ova during a monthly cycle; however, with the hormone injection, up to ten or fifteen eggs are produced.
Stage 2: Harvesting the eggs
In the next step, the eggs are collected by performing minor surgery. The timing is important as eggs should be harvested before they come out of the fallopian tubes in the ovaries. After retrieving the eggs transvaginally, the sperm is collected.
Stage 3: Lab-assisted fertilization
Once the eggs and sperm are collected, then the process of fertilization begins with various methods like intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).
Stage 4: Embryo culture
After this, the embryos are kept under observation typically till the blastocyst stage where the embryos have divided to make 100 to 125 cells.
Stage 5: Embryo implantation
Finally arrives the step where the egg is ready to be transferred into the human womb after it has achieved optimal growth in vitro. Usually, to increase the chances of conception, doctors transfer more than one embryo in the uterine cavity through the cervix. After a crucial wait of two weeks, blood tests are performed to determine the success of conception. If the concerned woman has conceived, she will be referred to prenatal care. If the results indicate otherwise, then the couple would be referred to another round of IVF cycles.
Difference between IVF and normal pregnancy
Here are the prominent differences between naturally conceived pregnancy and through the IVF cycle.
- The primary difference between IVF and normal pregnancy lies in the mental awareness of conception. In a natural pregnancy, a woman remains unaware that she has conceived for up to a month or more. But couples who have undergone an IVF cycle remain aware of this fact.
- This is followed by the constant prenatal care required during the first trimester of pregnancy in the case of IVF which is not prevalent in a natural pregnancy.
- Another important difference to note is that when hormones are injected during the ovarian stimulation phase, they can mimic symptoms of early pregnancy or the pre-menstrual phase.
- Women may experience bloating, tiredness, nausea, breast soreness, and moodiness or depression. Some amount of uterine cramps and light bleeding is also possible during the embryo implantation phase. Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome symptoms may resemble early signs of pregnancy.
- However, the doctors only advise taking rest and care during this phase.
- Once pregnancy is detected post the two weeks of embryonic implantation, the woman is monitored more intensively by the fertility clinician throughout the first trimester. This is not the case when women have conceived naturally.
- After the first trimester is crossed successfully, the IVF-induced pregnancy becomes the same as natural conception. Beyond ten weeks the patient is left under the observation of an obstetrician.
You have learnt the difference between IVF and normal pregnancy from this post. I am certain that most of your doubts have been answered here. If you are eager to opt for an IVF process or you know someone who needs relevant information regarding this matter of conception, do share our blog with them. Stay tuned for more updates from the world of science, health technology, climate, and more.
What is IVF test meaning in Marathi?
IVF Marathi’s meaning doesn’t change from what it means in the general English language. It is also known as the process of making test tube babies or in vitro fertilization.
What is the full form of IVF?
IVF is the abbreviated form of in vitro fertilization. It forms a part of assisted reproductive technologies (ART).
Is IVF safe in India?
Yes, IVF cycles are safely performed in India. There are about 2 to 2.5 lakhs IVF cycles performed every year. The fertility clinics and hospitals in India do have the required infrastructure to carry on the needed procedures.
Can IVF pregnancy have a normal delivery?
Yes, a lot of women pregnant via the IVF cycle have managed to deliver their babies through the vagina without requiring C-section. So, it can be concluded that IVF pregnancy can be delivered naturally.
After how many weeks of IVF pregnancy is safe?
Ten weeks onwards IVF pregnancy can be considered as a regular pregnancy and thereby safe.
You must log in to post a comment.